Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"The Greatest Generation"

In the spirit of the 4th of July, yesterday I started reading "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw. It has been sitting on my shelf for a year. I knew that this book would resonate with me as both of my Grandpas served in World War II. In fact, my Grandpa Hammond gave this book to my Dad and he gave it to me. It didn't take long for me to tear up. Referring to the greatest generation, Tom Brokaw said this:

"[They are] like your neighbors, the older people who always fly the flag on the Fourth of July and Veterans Day and spend their vacation with friends they've had for fifty years at the reunion of his military outfit. They seem to have everything they need, but still count their pennies as if the bottom may drop out tomorrow. Most of all, they love each other, love life and love their country, and they are not ashamed to say just that."

Sound familiar?

Mylie, last fall, with Grandpa at his Navy Seabees reunion.


I love this holiday, the traditions that go along with it and the great love for this country that has been instilled in me. Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

The Hawks Family said...

Happy 4th of July.. You guys have a good weekend.

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing those pictures. We have the best grandparents in the world and I sure miss Grandma. And Grandpa for that matter, since I haven't seen him in almost a year! What great people they are are great examples. I love them!