Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Doctor's appointment today

So I make it through my last night of Court prior to maternity leave last night. I get home, put my feet up and start having some contractions. I start timing them and they are about every 15 minutes apart for about 2.5 hours. I am thinking, OK, this is a good thing, at least they are starting to be consistent, maybe I'll have this baby soon after all. Then I go to bed and they promptly stop.

So off to my weekly appointment this morning. The NP is listening for the baby's heartbeat, and wouldn't you know it ... it is not down low where it is supposed to be, but up high again. That and I am still only dilated to a 1 cm and not effaced at all. So they decide to do an ultrasound to check on this kid. He is not head down anymore, he is sideways (which I believe is called a transerve position). Great. So then I ask if they can give me an estimate of how big he is. Now, just for the record, according to my doctor's office, I am 37 weeks. So they meaure the head - 40 weeks 1 day, then they measure the stomach/torso - 40 weeks 4 days. His estimated weight right now is 8 lbs 13 oz. OK, seriously, this kid's head looked freaking ginormous. And the earliest my doctor said she would induce me is 2/5, only if I am dilating, which apparently I am not.

So now I apparently just wait until my appointment next week ... and wait and wait.

2 comments:

UrgentCookie said...

Oh, Steph, I sure hope he turns back down. He will be here before you know it. :0)

jonutz gang said...

so what do they do with a sideways kid? Suppose this is going to be the story of his life? Guess he's got you for a mom right so he's gotta be spunky. Hope they let it happen soon. Those last weeks of waiting are terrible ecspecially when you are having contractions and think that it's for real. Thinking of you.