Friday, August 29, 2008

Ugh - time to whine.

Tuesday morning I was getting ready for work and packing up the kid's stuff. Sometime between packing the diaper bag and dropping the kids off, I hurt my back ... bad. I have no idea what I did, but that is the thing about back pain, it doesn't really take much to tweak it.

The first time I really hurt my back (again I don't know how) Mylie had just turned one. I remember having to have Jeff come home from work because I couldn't lift her out of the crib. I went to the doctor and they gave me pain killers and muscle relaxers, neither which worked too well while being home with a baby. They knocked me out. After a few weeks I felt better.

The second time I hurt my back Mylie was 2 and I was in Washington D.C. for work. It may have been the ice skating I felt I had to do at the outdoor rink down the road from the Capitol building. I'm not sure, but I could barely get off the plane afterwards. After a week or so home I decided try going to the chiropractor for the first time ever. After many many visits I was finally feeling better. Shortly after that I got pregnant with Blake and had all the aches and pains that come along with pregnancy.

But since he has been born I have been feeling OK, until now. By the time I got home from work on Tuesday I just crashed. Thank goodness I didn't have to work the rest of the week and that Mylie is easily entertained. We have pretty much been camped out watching movies. Thankfully Blake will nap wherever (couch) because I can't lift him into his crib. I did get into the chiroractor after Jeff got home from work yesterday and I felt a bit better. We went to Costco and I made it through our shopping. Today I had promised Mylie we would go to lunch with her friend Helen and I totally thought I would be OK.

Wrong again. Melissa and I sat chatting for a long time at Carl's Jr. while the kids played. When I tried to get up, I couldn't, it's like my back had completely stiffened up or something. It seriously probably took me 5-7 minutes to just get upright. Yep, I felt awesome there, all the other chicken nugget moms watching me. Melissa graciously got Blake into his carseat. We made it home eventually, Blake got a bottle, Mylie got a snack and I landed in the recliner, not to move for hours. Mylie is an amazing help with Blake, thank goodness.

So here I still sit in the recliner. Back pain is the worse! I told Jeff tonight (and I mean it) this is worse than giving birth. 4 days down, hopefully not too many more to go.

OK, whining over.

4 comments:

The Hawks Family said...

I am so sorry sister. I know back pain it stinks. If there is anything I can do just let me know.. I feel so bad for you.. Darrel laughs at me when I throw out my back and he says how did you do it and I say I don't know so it's good to know that it happens to others. I miss you .. vacation was nice but I am ready to get back to the kiddos. Take care of your self..

jonutz gang said...

Poor Steph,
I am soooo sorry. I think it's kids-I have had so many back problems since getting pregnant with Trysten.
I used to just fall because my leg would stop working. Thayer thought it was funny. I heard sex is the best thing for bad backs. Ok that was a lie but thought Jeff would like the idea. love ya sorry it hurts. Wine on you deserve it.

Carey said...

Oh Steph! I remember when you did it before. You had stopped by for something and you just walked bent over like a little old lady. I felt so bad for you. I hope you get it figured out and get feeling better.

**hugs**
Carey

Katie said...

Sorry to hear. Hope you feel better soon!