Sunday, August 17, 2008

Yum!

So occassionally I throw something together for dinner that is a total keeper. Jeff's parents came over for lunch yesterday and we had shish-kabobs and and I also made a pasta salad. I had some veggies left so I decided I would make something different today. On Sundays we usually put something in the crock pot before church so it is all ready when we get home. But instead today I made a chicken pasta and we thought it rivaled Olive Garden.

This is what I did: poured some EVOO (that extra virgin olive oil for you non-Rachel Ray people) in a pan with some garlic, red pepper flakes and chicken breasts, and a little water (to cut down on the number of times I got burned with the popping oil). Then I thinly sliced an onion, 1/2 yellow pepper, some spinach, brocolli, and halved a bunch a grape tomatos. I added this to the pan along with some italian seasoning spices. While this was cooking I checked my pantry to see what type of noodles to go for. I had a box of shells so I cooked those, drained them, added them to the pan with the chicken and veggies, added a bit more EVOO and some shredded parmesean cheese. I made a loaf of garlic bread and it was a super yummy dinner!

I was just having a conversation with my friend Melissa and her mom about getting in such a rut with dinners. I swear I have this rotation that I go through and cook the same things over and over again. I'd love to hear any great recipes or creations you have!

3 comments:

Angie T. said...

I have the same problem. I cook the same few things over and over. We have been grilling a lot this summer. I will have to try your pasta creation. It sounds yummy!

Chelsea Harshbarger said...

Hey Steph,
I have a great recipe for taco soup, or as otherwise call "Sore Arm Soup" due to the number of canned items. However it is just heavenly and super easy to make. Also it makes for a lot of left overs that you can freeze and it defrosts wonderfully. Here ya go:

Sore Arm Soup (Taco Soup)

Salt and Pepper to Season Onion and Meat
3-4 Tbls of Olive Oil
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 Chopped Medium Onion
1 Can of El Pato (a brand of chile sauce)
2 Small Can of Diced Green Chilies
2 Cans of Dark Red Kidney Beans (drained)
2 Cans of Corn (drained)
2 Cans of Tomato Sauce
2 Cans of Crushed Tomatoes
3 Tbls of Lime Juice
About a 3 Tbls of Chopped Cilantro
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese
Fritos Chips


Sauté the chopped onions in a stock pot with olive oil until their are soft and translucent.
Once onions are ready add ground beef and El Pato. Sauté until the meat is completely
cooked through. Once meat is cooked pour in chilies, beans, corn, tomato sauce, crushed
tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro. Fill both bean cans with water and add to the pot. You may need to add
another can depending on how much soup you want. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and Fritos chips or any tortilla chip you like.
Enjoy, Yum!

Angie T. said...

Denice Harrell I guess it is McDowell now. I haven't tried them yet but she said they are both yummy!

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

9 7-8 inch corn tortillas
1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes with added puree
2 c shredded cooked chicken
4 scallions (chopped)
1 (7 oz can) diced green chilies
1 (2.2 oz) can sliced ripe olives drained
1 1/2 c sour cream
2 c shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz)

Preheat oven to 350. In a 12X8 inch baking dish, place 3 tortillas overlapping slightly, as necessary. Layer one third of tomatoes, chicken, scallions, chilies, olives, sour cream (I put this on the underside of the next layer of tortillas), and cheese over tortillas.

Cover with another 3 tortillas and layer half of remaining tomatoes, chicken, scallions, chilies, sour cream olives and cheese. Then repeat layers again, ending wtih tomatoes and cheese.

Bake uncovered, about 34 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.



Blueberry Streusel Cobbler
1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Seetened Condensed Milk
2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest
3/4 cup push 2 T cold butter or marg.
2 cups of biscuit mix, divided
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c chopped nuts
Blueberry sauce

Preheat over to 325. In bowl, combine blueberries, condensed milk and lemon zest.

In a large bowl, cut 3/4 c butter into 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix until crumbly; stir in blueberry mixture. Spread in greased 9-inch square baking pan.

In small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 c biscuit mix and brown sugar; cut in remaining 2 T butter until crumbly. Add nuts. Sprinkle over cobbler.

Bake 65 or 70 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and Blueberry sauce. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

BLUEBERRY SAUCE: In saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1 T cornstarch, 1/2 t ground cinnamon and 1/4 t ground nutmeg. Gradually add 1/2 c water. Cook and sitr until thickened. Stir in 1 pint blueberries; cook and stir utnil hot. Makes about 1 2/3 cups.