If you are reading this and you aren't my family, they you probably don't know that in this little cemetary in Southeastern Idaho are the graves of nearly all of my family on my mom's side, including both sets of great-grandparents and great aunts and uncles. Many people don't like cemetaries or think they are creepy, I love the Parker cemetary ... I have spent so much time there, with my family and by myself.
Back to my story, Mylie, Max, Darcy and I start walking down the hill. I tell Darcy we are looking for graves that say Hammond and to be on the lookout. Very soon she spots one and the kids run there and are excited to show it to me. I tell them that this is Uncle Calvin's grave, who is Papa Hammond's brother. And then words just started flowing out of my mouth and I began to tell the kids about how Uncle Calvin was a farmer and his farm land was here in Parker and then I pointed out to them where it was and explained how his grave was here so it could overlook his farm land. And as I am telling this story, I realize that it has been a long time since I have heard that story. But somehow it comes to my mind as fresh as if I had just heard it.
We keep walking and I point out other graves and tell other stories. We get to my great grandma and grandpa Hammond's grave and I show Darcy and Max on the headstone their great-great grandpa's name was Irus Benjamin and that is who their Daddy is named after. And as we walk through the cemetary, I remember all the Memorial Days when I was a child that I would spend at the cemetary with Grandma and Aunt Rulu. They had these huge buckets, maybe 5 gallons or so, and they would fill them with flowers, often from their own gardens, and oftentimes lilacs. These would get loaded into the trunk of Grandpa's car. When we got there it wasn't just a matter of putting flowers on the graves. Grandma would scrub the headstones clean. They would have clippers and clip the grass around the graves. And as we worked, she told stories, and my mom told stories, and that is how I learned about my family history.
So as we drove away from Parker that day, Jeff, Mylie and Blake all fell asleep in the car and I had uninterruted, quiet time to think. And I thought about roots, about how I have never lived in Parker, but how when I am there, I really feel connected to who I am. About how I love that I know a lot about my ancestors, that without thinking I can rattle off the names of all my grandparent's siblings and the names of my great grandparents. So then and there, while driving past Rexburg, I promised myself that once a year I will take Mylie and Blake to the cemetary in Parker, I will walk that same path with them, I will tell them stories about people they have never met, I will teach them about my roots, because those are their roots too.
6 comments:
Thanks for the memories and for the tears that I have shed, remembering all of those times, too.
It's nice to see that their all still strong family ties. I love your stories and your beatiful pictures. You blog so well. Thanks for sharing.
That picture brought a tear to my eye! Thanks!
I should have known not to read this post at work. Thanks for sharing your memories.
That is so tender! You are so sweet and what sweet memories!
Well, I don't know your family... but here I am crying. Your love for your family and your roots really touches me! Thank you for this post! As a "historian at heart" I love going to cemeteries and reminiscing and hearing the stories and learning more about those who have gone before us. What a great promise to yourself and family... share the legacy!
Post a Comment