Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go.

I have served in the Relief Society presidency (the women's organization at our church) for the past couple years. Before that I was Relief Society teacher. I really love being in Relief Society. I like visiting with the other ladies and listening to the well prepared spiritual lessons. I was just released from my calling and Jeff and I were asked to serve as Junior Nursery (18 months to two and half-ish age) leaders. Can I just be honest and say that I was so not excited about this? In fact, my true feelings were almost of dread. We've been gone the last few Sundays, so today would be our first day in nursery.

This morning as I was getting ready for church I wasn't in a very good mood. I wasn't looking forward to going to church and was having a silent talk with Heavenly Father about it. I just kept thinking that there must be some reason that the Lord wanted me to serve in nursery, I didn't know what it was, but there must be some reason. I figured if I just kept telling myself that, I would feel better. But, it wasn't working.

We got to church and sat through Sacrament Meeting. When it was time for the closing song I started singing and the words just spoke to my heart and tears began to stream down my face.

It may not be on the mountain height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle’s front
My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.

I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,
Over mountain or plain or sea;
I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
I’ll be what you want me to be.

Perhaps today there are loving words
Which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now in the paths of sin
Some wand’rer whom I should seek.
O Savior, if thou wilt be my guide,
Tho dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet:
I’ll say what you want me to say.

I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,
Over mountain or plain or sea;
I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
I’ll be what you want me to be.

There’s surely somewhere a lowly place
In earth’s harvest fields so wide
Where I may labor through life’s short day
For Jesus, the Crucified.
So trusting my all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I’ll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I’ll be what you want me to be.

I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,
Over mountain or plain or sea;
I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
I’ll be what you want me to be.

I truly believe this song was an answer to the prayer I had said earlier in the day. A reminder that Heavenly Father knows me and has plans for me and I just have to have enough faith to trust in Him. And needless to say, my day improved immensely right then. Nursery was lots of fun (all 2 hours of it). Blake, who is still too young, gets to go now since Jeff and I are both in there. He had such fun playing with all the kids. My heart melted watching Jeff hold hands and play Ring Around the Rosies. Sometimes I just need to step back and remember that God is in control and I need to go where He wants me to go.

3 comments:

jonutz gang said...

That's so funny because we are in nursery too. It's so hard some days to go because I have been in Primary for the seven of eight years of our marriage. Last year was so awesome being in Relief Society and listening to the spirit in there. Yesterday I was dreading going to nursery. Then I went and there were a few girls that gave me hugs and that made my day.

Angie T. said...

Joe and I had the same thoughts when they put us in nursery a few years ago. We both ended up enjoing our time there. Now we are CTR 7 teacher's. Once again the same feelings and now we love our calling. Thank you for your uplifting message!

Jessica said...

You will do so great in nursery! The kids are lucky to have you guys!!