Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ding, ding. We've got a winner.

Mary Poppins! Yep, we have found another movie that Mylie totally adores. Tonight we had a "movie party" and Jeff had been telling Mylie about Mary Poppins and that is what she picked. We guessed with her newfound love for "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" that this would be a success also.

I can't even think how many times she exclaimed, "What the heck?" For instance, when Mary Poppins was unloading the coat rack, lamp and plant out of her bag. Or when the horses came off the merry-go-round. Or when Uncle Albert laughed so hard he floated to the ceiling. She loved the music and was already singing along by the end of the show.

It reminded me of watching Disney movies when I was a kid. We didn't have fancy DVDs ... Ben, Courtney, Bailey remember VHS tapes with masking tape on the front with either Mom or Grandma's writing on them? Remember how we would occassionally get the Disney Channel free for a weekend and they would record everything so we could watch it over and over again. I loved it and remember watching those movies over and over again. I remember that one of my favorites was "Superdad" (wonder why?). One of my other favorites I thought was called something like My Mother is a Freshman ... or something like that. But I just spent the last 10 minutes googling and searching disney.com's old movie list and I can't come up with the name of it. It is an old movie, black and white and set in the 50s maybe, a mom enrolls in college when her daughter does. It is now going to drive me nuts! If anyone (Mom) can think of the name, please help me.

Check out this link though (http://www.ultimatedisney.com/oldliveaction.htm). I totally just thought of tons of other Disney movies I loved, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, Absent-Minded Professor, Parent Trap, The Love Bug. I think I am going to see if I can add some of these to our Nexflix list. I remember Ben's favorite movie was Bedknobs and Broomsticks, I already have that one on our list for Mylie.

Something you may not know about me is I love old movies. Elvis movies, my favorites. The Beach Blanket Bingo movies, I love them. Doris Day movies with Rock Hudson or James Garner, sigh. In fact, someday I am going to break down and buy a collection of Doris Day DVDs. Oh and what about Jerry Lee Lewis and Dean Martin comedies? Hmmm, I may just have to up our Netflix plan!

7 comments:

jonutz gang said...

I loved Mary popkins so much. I would watch it over and over and over and my brothers and sisters would get so angry with me because they didn't share the passion of flying with an umbrella-uncultured people. Glad you found another one. For your sanity at least.

Angie T. said...

Your kids are so cute! My boys do not appreciate the classics like I do. They are into super hero movies. Spider Man, Bat Man, Hulk. Not my cup of tea. I usually watch my favorites alone! My favorite movie was Parent Trap. Lisa and I had "Let's Get Together" memorized. We could mimic every move.

B said...

POLLLYANNNNNNNNNNNNNNA!!!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Bedknobs and Broomsticks was one of my FAVORITE movies when I was younger!!! Nobody ever knows what I'm talking about though! My husband swears I made that movie up! I'm so glad to hear that someone else loved that movie as well!!

Ashlee said...

I LOVE Mary Poppins! Thanks for the good movie advice. I can't believe how your little guy has grown (from you not last post but post before)! He's so very handsome!

holly said...

hey stephanie! i can't believe how big blake is getting, he is a cute baby! (always was). you pretty much nailed all our favorite movies- we watched the 'parent trap' and 'pollyanna' just this last weekend. i'm starting to throw a little 'secret garden' and 'a little princess' in the mix, those are good ones too, though i don't think they're disney. believe it or not, teah loved 'gone with the wind', well for about 30 minutes (big dresses are her thing).

Jessica said...

We loved one called "The One and Only Original Family Band" (or something to that effect) I ended up buying an oldschool VHS tape of it on Ebay for like $40 and then about a month later they came out with it on DVD, but that was a favorite at my house growing up.