Friday, July 9, 2010

This is how my day started out today ...

While I was in the shower this morning, Mylie and Blake run into the bathroom frantically. Mylie tells me that there is a chicken in our yard and she is afraid for Bosco. I have no fear for Bosco, but some fear for the chicken. Yes, this is the same chicken that flew into our house last summer, two of them flew into our yard last night, and of course, the neighboors (behind us) are gone every time this happens.

I get dressed and head out to the backyard where Bosco is indeed "playfully" (at least in his opinion) playing with the chicken. I call him (from across the yard) until he finally comes to me. I go in the house and call Jeff. Honestly, I am a smart and confident woman. I have a masters degree, I teach college ... but figuring out what to do with the chicken in my backyard has me perplexed. I am hopeful that Jeff will just say, "I'll be home in a minute to take care of it." But he doesn't. He suggests that I catch the chicken and throw it back over the fence. (Right.) Then he suggests we just call the sheriff's office for poultry at large (don't laugh, its a true misdemeanor in Idaho). I inform him that is not a good idea as they are our neighbors and go to our church and I really don't want to sign a misdemeanor citation against them. He reminds me I lived in the country and should be able to handle this. I remind him that I lived at the country CLUB, and no, I could not handle this.

Meanwhile, Bosco is running around the house like a possessed dog and panting at the door. He knows there is a chicken out there and he wants to play. Blake is running around the house saying chicken (or something that sounds like it) and then balling up his fists and air fighting the chicken. I attempt to call the neighbors, even though I know they are out of town and leave a message about their prodigal chicken.

I go outside to see if by chance it has flown home. It is hiding in a bush in the back corner of the yard. I start to approach it and realize I have developed an irrational fear of chickens. I go back in the house, instant message Jeff to see what to do and he informs he he has called the sheriff's department, that they should be there soon, and I will have to sign the citation. This is not the route I had hoped this would take. Sigh.

I go outside again, to see if my confidence has returned. It hasn't. I call my mom because she knows everything. However, she doesn't really know how to capture a chicken, but encouraged me that I could do it. Just use a towel or blanket or something to get it and then throw it over the fence. I feel encouraged and call Jeff back and tell him to call the sheriff's office and tell them they don't need to respond. He says as soon as I call him back and tell him the chicken is gone, he will.

I get a towel and head out in the backyard. I snap the towel at the bush and get the chicken out of the bush. It starts waddling around the yard. I'm a safe distance away thinking about the best way to handle this. I slowly approach, throw the towel over the chicken, it starts flapping its wings around, I scream like a girl and run back in the house. I sit on the front couch and look at the window, secretly wishing the sheriff's department would get there. I ask Mylie to say a prayer that I won't be afraid of the chicken. I get the towel again and take both kids out as reinforcements. It doesn't go any better this time. I silently curse my husband and wish he would just come home and take care of this.

I go next door to get the neighbor and see if he is any braver around chickens than me. It turns out he is not. His 9 year old son and his friend are. The two of them (and Blake) chase the chicken around the yard until he catches it and tosses it over the fence. I give a huge sigh of relief and take the kids and head back in the house. I send Bosco out to reclaim his backyard. I call Jeff to make sure he called the sheriff's office to tell them not to come.

He can't stop laughing. He tells me he didn't ever call the sheriff's office, but that he and everyone in his office haven't laughed this hard in a long time. I'm so grateful I could be the laughing stock of his office. What a way to start the weekend.

1 comment:

Photo's by Shan said...

Oh yeah, that just totally made my day. Hahahahahahaha!!! The best part was picturing you screaming like a girl and running back into the house. I did that when I was trying to take macros of bees. I can't imagine what the neighbors were thinking. lol!!