Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Reading

I have been a reading machine this summer. Somehow between the hundred other things I have had going on this summer, I have managed to read 21 books since June 1st. Yikes!! In June, I bought a Nook, which is an electronic reader. I love it. I have read more books, I have read different types of books than I normally would. I have found lots of books to borrow and Barnes and Noble has quite a few free books. It has been a great purchase and I love that I can just throw it in my purse and have countless books at my disposal.

I was at lunch with my friends Janelle and Doris the other day and mentioned how much I had been reading. They too are readers and asked to see what I had been reading. Here is my summer reading list so far with some comments on the books.

Currently Reading:
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett - I just started this today and am about 100 pages in (it is a 900 page book). It is a historical fiction set in the 1200s in England. Not my normal genre, but I am finding it quite interesting so far.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder - Joanna Fluke (audiobook) - I can't stand reading two books at a time, but like to listen to books in the car. This author's books are a fun easy read (or listen). I can listen to these without it interfering with my main book. Bonus - there are recipes in each chapter.

July
Kisser - Stuart Woods - Stuart Woods is hit or miss for me. This was from his Stone Barrington series. I thought it was kind of smutty.

Home Safe - Elizabeth Berg - I had not read this author before and got this book free. I enjoyed it. Just an easy fiction read.

Between Friends - Debbie Macomber - I LOVED this book. I like Debbie Macomber's books, but this is my favorite book of all of hers that I have read. The entire book is made up of letters/journal entries between two best friends throughout the course of their life. I laughed and cried out loud.

Key Lime Pie Murder - Joanne Fluke (audiobook) - Another fun, easy listen.

Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - Holli recommended these books to me quite a while ago. After describing the plot, I was pretty sure I would not be interested. I was wrong. They were fabulous. They are young adult fiction and I loved them!! I don't even really know how to describe the plot. It reminded me of The Giver (which I did not like, but think I will reread now). I totally recommend this series!

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins - Book 2 of the Hunger Games series. Just as good as the first. Book 3 comes on in August.

The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson #4

The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson #5

June (13)
The Lightening Thief - Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson #1 - I bought this for Jeff a while ago and then started the series myself. They are probably targeted at middle school age. It is a fun series (5 books long) about heroes and Greek mythology. Easy quick reads.

Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson #2

The Quiet Game - Greg Iles (audiobook) - I had not read any of Greg Iles books in a while and got this one on audiobook. It was really good. Set in the south, an attorney, lots of plots, racism themes. I liked it.

Private (preview) - James Patterson - I got a free preview of this (not the entire book, just the first part). Different characters from James Patterson. Good story line, military themes.

One Shot - Lee Childs - I really like Lee Childs books. They are about Jack Reacher, an ex-military policeman who is a transient. Quick read, you definitely want to stay with the story.

The Help - Kathryn Stockett - LOVED this book!! Bailey recommended it to me and it was a fabulous book. Everyone should read it. It is a story about the south in the 60s and families and the black help that they hire to help (nannys, maids, etc). Excellent reading. I totally recommend it.

This Matter of Marriage - Debbie Macomber - A fun, easy, summer read. I would call it "chic lit" genre.

Caught - Harlan Coben - I have only read (actually listened to) one of Harlan Coben's books - The Woods (which was really good and suspenseful). I was anxious to read some more of his books. This was good, although not as captivating as The Woods.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer - This is actually a novella (longer than a short story, shorter than a novel) that is the same content as the Eclipse novel, but taken from another character's perspective. Lots of vampires. I read it free. Quick read.

Talk of the Town - Lisa Wingate - Another chic lit book.

Too Good To Be True - Kristan Higgins - Another chic lit book. I will read this author again.

The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson #3

Bitter is the New Black - Jen Lancaster - This book was absolutely hilarious. I laughed right out loud many times. It is (true, I think) about a female executive, fashion conscience, shopper, spender, etc and her exploits. The language is a bit foul in some parts.

So that is my reading list so far. I'll have to update at the end of the summer! Happy reading.

1 comment:

Angie T. said...

Wow! I thought I was doing good with 9 books. Way to go!