Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Mom, are you going boating again today?

is what Mylie asked me first thing this morning. I was a bit confused but a few moments later I realized she was asking me if I was going to vote today. Yesterday I explained to her that Daddy and I were voting, that we live in a country where the grown-ups get to decide who the president will be. Of course she is only 4, but I hope some of this sticks. See, growing up I always remember that my parents voted. We didn't talk about politics a lot as a family, but I know that they took voting very seriously. Even this year, with all their kids grown, my Mom sent us all an email reminding us that voting is a privilege and we need to exercise our right to vote.

We are so blessed to live in this country where we as citizens can choose who our leaders will be. It wasn't so long ago that women could not vote, that African Americans could not vote ... and look, this year, both a woman and an African American were contenders. The United States in an amazing place. Regardless of who you voted for, I hope you voted. The fact that so many people turned out to vote is inspiring to me. I have read different numbers, but one source said it was the biggest voter turnout in 80 years. It is inspiring to live in a country where people are not apathetic. Instead of just complaining about what they didn't like in the country, people got out and voted for the candidate of their choice.

It appears that through this election many people felt mobilized. People were willing to volunteer for campaign efforts, willing to wait hours to vote. I hope people hold onto this feeling. I hope people find a call to service within them. I hope people will become more involved in their communities, more proactive about issues that are important to them. You don't have to be a politician to be an activist or to have a cause. That is just one more amazing thing about this country. I am very proud to call myself an American!

2 comments:

The Hawks Family said...

well said Lady!

Ashlee said...

It really is such a great privelege we have. The presidential election this year stirred strong feelings in most of us, and especially myself. I've never had such strong opinions before on the issue of president- I'm not sure if that's a good thing!