Christmas 2006 was just a few months after my Grandma had died. Oh my heart hurt at the prospect of Christmas without Grandma (and still does). Grandma was all about holidays and Christmas was something special. Even we didn't always spend Christmas Day in Idaho Falls, we always spent part of Christmas week there and the thought of not having her there, of Grandpa not having her there, just hurt so much.
As I unwrapped a present from Mary my eyes just filled with tears. It was a simple ornament that said "I'm spending Christmas with Jesus this year." In the little box was this poem:
I'm pretty sure I will tear up every year when I hang this ornament on the tree. But it was the perfect gift. I'm also pretty sure every year when I hang this ornament I will be grateful for Jeff's mom and for her finding the perfect gift to soothe my heart.I see the countless Christmas trees
Around the world below,
With tiny lights like heaven's stars
Reflecting in the snow.
The sight is so spectacular
Please wipe away that tear
For I'm spending Christmas
With Jesus Christ this year.
I hear the many Christmas songs
That people hold so dear
But earthly music can't compare
With the Christmas choir up here.
I have no words to tell you
The joy their voices bring
For it's beyond description
To hear the angels sing.
I know how much you miss me,
Trust God and have no fear
For I'm spending Christmas
With Jesus Christ this year.
I can't tell you of the splendor
Or the peace here in this place.
Can you imagine Christmas
With our Savior, face to face?
May God uplift your spirit
As I tell Him of your love
Then pray for one another
As you lift your eyes above.
So let your hearts be joyful
And let your spirits sing
For I'm spending Christmas in Heaven
And I'm walking with the king!
5 comments:
What a wonderful gift! I would love to do this for my Aunt. Is this something she made or did she buy it? What a wonderfuk keepsake!I would love to see you over Christmas. Denice Harrell will be home also. We thought it would be fun to get together if you have time.
Hi Steph- I'm sure you sent the invite, I probably just overlooked it, but have been meaning to ask you about getting back in touch- so thank you! I love your story about the inmate cookies! I love how you've seen it from both sides and have perspectives from both- something we can all learn from! Have a Merry Christmas!
I love you even more-(last comment) and now I am crying.
What a great gift..
As always love you blog and all you have to say. I miss you! It's been too long! And just so you know I cried during your inmate story, too. I'm glad you're not always such a bad ***!
Post a Comment