- I could grade papers
- I could craft
- I could clean the house
- I could take a nap
- I could go shopping ALL by myself
Shopping was the winner. First I went to Target, I only had a couple things on my list - I was looking for a new computer case and also needed new rugs for the front and back door. I stood in the rug aisle for 20 minutes - and no one complained. I bought a coke and a piece of candy at the checkout and didn't have to explain or argue about it. Now, don't get me wrong - It isn't like I don't ever go shopping - the kids and I go shopping often, and really, I love going with them. I love every thing about them ... but I'm not ashamed to say that I really, REALLY enjoyed my quiet shopping trip. Then I went to Staples, which could possible bore my children to death. Then I went to the craft store, just to look around. No one begged me to PUH-LEEZ buy them some stickers.
And then I went to the mall ALONE. And I had an epiphany while I was there. Remember when we were teenagers? Could anything be as traumatic as going to the mall by yourself? Let me just tell you at age 36, there is no trauma involved in being at the mall by yourself. To say it was a delightful afternoon would be an understatement. I spent an HOUR in the apple store. A whole beautiful, quiet hour.
Then I came home and I was so happy to see the kids and spend the remainder of the day with them. But to all the moms out there ... it is OK to enjoy the quiet doing something YOU want to do and not feeling guilty about it!
And then I went to the mall ALONE. And I had an epiphany while I was there. Remember when we were teenagers? Could anything be as traumatic as going to the mall by yourself? Let me just tell you at age 36, there is no trauma involved in being at the mall by yourself. To say it was a delightful afternoon would be an understatement. I spent an HOUR in the apple store. A whole beautiful, quiet hour.
Then I came home and I was so happy to see the kids and spend the remainder of the day with them. But to all the moms out there ... it is OK to enjoy the quiet doing something YOU want to do and not feeling guilty about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment