We had ward conference today and our Bishop and Stake President both focused all their remarks on the family, pulling a lot from the family proclamation. Some things that jumped out at me :
- "Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations." -The Family: A Proclamation to the World
- "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." -President David O. McKay
- "Societies are having terrible youth problems, but I am convinced they have a greater parent problem." President Gordon B. Hinckley
- "It is in the home that hope is fostered or destroyed." -President Thomas S. Monson
President Stafford (our stake president) said that children are our refiner's fire. We sacrifice for them and we {hopefully} give up bad habits and selfishness. Our meeting today definitely gave me a lot to think about and helped me recognize {even more} things I need to work on. It is funny, as I approach my 34th birthday this week, I can think of when my mom was my age. I was 10 years old when she was 34, and it is so strange. I don't see myself as mature, as selfless, as domestic, as calm as my mom was at my age.
On a related note, I was called to serve in the young women's organization in our ward as the Mia Maid advisor (14-15 year old girls). Yay, I am so excited. When the Bishop was setting me apart last week he said a few things that rung very true and were excellent reminders. He reminded me that I am first, a daughter of God; second, a wife; and third, a mother. He also spoke of being able to prioritize. Of course in theory this is an easy thing, but it was a great reminder. I have SO much going on and I will admit that I don't prioritize well. This is something I really want to work on this year. I am starting to recognize that some of the stress at our house (OK, mostly between Mylie and I), I am inadvertantly creating.
I feel optimistic this year. I know the things I need to improve on and I really have a desire to make those changes. Not just because it is the beginning of the year and I am supposed to, but because I want to. I just feel so blessed with this two wonderful kids, an amazing husband, loving and supportive parents and in-laws, and super siblings! I have THE cutest nieces and nephew and the bestest friends. I am truly blessed.
2 comments:
your kids are so flippin cute.. So glad I am a part of your family.. Lady we all want to be better and do better but I read something the other day that struck me and it was "not satisfied but content." I think that is a good place to get to .. always looking to do better but not forgeting to live in the moment and enjoy where we are at..
And we are all truly bleesed to know you. Love you
Post a Comment