Sunday, October 11, 2009

WARNING: Insanely cute baby & momma pictures ahead!

I am not really a spontaneous person. I like to plan things, things are planned at our house months in advance. But last week I was talking to Bailey and she was talking about all the new baby animals at Hogle Zoo, including the baby elephant. When we were last at Hogle Zoo in July, the momma elephant was getting close to having her baby. I got off the phone with her and Jeff and I spontaneously decided we would go to Salt Lake this weekend to see the baby animals.

Oh my goodness, I am so glad we did! We had such a fun (albeit quick) trip. We left Friday afternoon and got to our hotel around 9 that night. Bailey came to the hotel to visit the kids. They were slightly excited about the whole trip in general and probably didn't fall asleep until 11:30 or 12 ... and up at 7, ack. Regardless, they were such good kiddos and it was a fun trip. We saw the baby animals, went on the carousel and the train. We got back home around 10 on Saturday night.

This baby elephant (Zurri) is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. She looks so little, but she was born in August and was 251 pounds. I guess that isn't too little!


She was totally performing for the {large} crowd. Too cute!

Then onto the baby giraffe, born in July. We guessed she was about 7-8 feet tall.

They were hiding, but there were 3 tiger cubs. I wished we could have seen them play, goodness, I bet it would have been precious.

There were also baby snow leopards (but they were really hiding), a baby monkey and a young orangutan. She was the cutest thing and was playing with her dad. There was a blanket in with them and she would put it over his face and then pull it off, totally playing peek a boo!
We had such a great time. It was nice to just get away as a family and spend some quality time together. You know how sometimes you have those moments when you realize how lucky you are? I had one sitting on the little train at the zoo, with Blake on my lap and Mylie sitting next to me. Jeff and I had a great chance to talk uninterrupted on the ride home while the kids were asleep. It was a spectacular weekend!

3 comments:

jonutz gang said...

You guys totally deserved that. By the way amazing pictures. Glad you had a spectacular weekend.

The Hawks Family said...

awesome I am totally jealous.. Glad you had so much fun..

Jessica said...

we were going to go while we were in UT, but didn't make it there, those pics make we sad we didn't.